Faulty Wiring Causes Fire on Roof of High School Gym

By Katie Lyons

Tue Sep 2nd, 2014 12:48pm America/Los_Angeles

generic-kron-4-600x31410
RELATED COVERAGE

HEALDSBURG — Faulty electrical wiring in an exterior light caused a small fire in the roof of a gymnasium at Healdsburg High School early Tuesday morning, Healdsburg Fire Chief Steven Adams said.

A smoke detector inside the Smith Robinson Gym triggered an alarm that alerted the fire department around 3 a.m., Adams said.

The fire burned a 20-by-25-foot area in one corner of the roof. Firefighters put salvage covering on the gym floor and the blaze was extinguished within 30 minutes, Adams said.

A second alarm was called because of the size of the gym and as a precaution, he said.

School principal Chris Vanden Heuvel said there was some water damage to the gym floor and a volleyball game scheduled for tonight has been relocated to the gym at a junior high school a few blocks away. The Smith Robinson Gym and locker rooms closed after the fire.

There also is a smaller gym on the high school campus at 1024 Prince Ave. where gym classes are held, Vanden Heuvel said.

(Copyright 2014, Bay City News, All rights reserved.)

blog comments powered by Disqus